Chicago-area composers’ jazz big band Heisenberg Uncertainty Players (HUP) is offering a call for scores for any high school students in the greater Chicago area. We will select one or two outstanding compositions to be performed at our concert at Elmhurst College’s Mill Theater on Saturday, April 1, 2017. This concert will feature the world premiere performance of John Dorhauer’s We Tear Down Our Coliseums, and we would love to feature the work of a couple emerging composers along with this.
Below are the guidelines for this call for scores:
- Any student currently enrolled in a Chicago-area high school is eligible.
- Submissions must be original compositions of the student submitting them.
- Students may submit multiple works.
- There is no submission fee.
- Compositions may be written for the full ensemble or a smaller subset. HUP’s instrumentation is as follows:
- 5 saxophones (2 altos, 2 tenors, 1 bari; doublings include soprano sax, clarinet, and flute)
- 4 trumpets
- 4 trombones
- Drum set
- Although HUP is a jazz band, compositions do not need to be written in a jazz style. Any genre, including classical, will be considered.
- Compositions should be no longer than 7 minutes.
- The deadline for submission is Wednesday, March 1.
- A PDF of the score should be emailed to John Dorhauer at firstname.lastname@example.org. An MP3 recording or MIDI realization of the piece is encouraged but not required.
- Up to 2 outstanding submissions will receive a public performance at HUP’s concert on April 1, 2017, at Elmhurst College’s Mill Theater. Selected composers will be notified by March 6.